Search This Blog

Friday, September 6, 2024

The Power of the Four Contemplations

 Phurpa Tashi Rinpoche:

To get this precious human life is not easy. In this short life, what we need is to create the causes for a future of eternal happiness. 

But should we not practice diligently, although we have already attained this opportunity to create such a future, impermanence which is hanging ominously over our heads all the time can arrive at any time and take away this chance.  Therefore, it is not wise to be lazy and procrastinate...

This applies to me too. I have received many prophecies and recognitions from numerous eminent masters.  But I have never neglected my own practice. I have never thought, "I am the mind emanation of Guru Rinpoche or the emanation of some Tulku, therefore I can put aside my practice today." I have never given rise to such thoughts of complacency.

So, while I tell others to practice in a down to earth manner, I have pushed myself to do the same. Because all of us will disappear from this world one day. 

Today, it seems like our lives are so luxurious and comfortable. But who knows how long this window of happiness and comfort will last?  Sometimes, when I sit by my window and watch people passing to and fro daily, they seem to think that they can live forever. But not at all, no. This is just temporary. One day, they will not be able to return to their habitual way of life even if they wanted to enjoy it as usual.

So, why do people not try to accomplish something truly useful? Of course, we are always busy about affairs of this life, without stopping day or night. We work to improve our lives. But at the same time, we are not permanent owners of this life, one day we will vanish from Earth. At that time, what is truly useful is of course liberation from birth-and-death. So why do we not prepare for this?

Seeing this situation, I feel even more compassion for sentient beings. They are really so ignorant of their own plight.  At present, they don't see what is truly necessary. Some people with heavy afflictions even go so far as to say that Buddhism is just some stupid superstitions. 

Yes, sometimes I tell people, we Buddhists might be a little stupid sometimes. But we are not so stupid as to not even know what is the right thing to do. From past till present, from Buddha Shakyamuni's time till now, for more than 2500 years, could all these many Buddhist practitioners have been stupid people?

I don't think so. Especially for the great lineage masters who are completely at ease and in total control when facing the moment of death— they can leave this world with such freedom and independence.  If these great masters are stupid, then I think it is worthwhile to be stupid like them. Because it is quite useful, when alive, they are happy and at peace; when facing death, they are even more carefree.  In future lives, they enjoy unlimited freedom and happiness. We should try to be stupid in this way...

If you have a little time to practice Dharma, then use whatever time you have fully.  If you have much time to practice Dharma, but you let it slip away in an unconcerned manner, then it is not that good. At such times, think of the precious human life and impermanence...

I have received the entire breadth of teachings from Lama Achuk Rinpoche from the Hinayana to the highest pinnacle of the nine yanas.  In my practice, I utilize the teachings from all yanas. But nothing is more powerful than the four contemplations for giving me the naturally arising impetus to practice Dharma.  

So while I myself practice this daily, I also advise all practitioners to make this a mainstay of their practice. 

Sometimes when I think of the great practitioners in their isolated mountain retreats, I wonder if they truly do not feel any loneliness.  The conditions in such retreats are quite awful.  Their dwellings are very uncomfortable with holes everywhere allowing the cold winds to penetrate, very far from the comfortable conditions we enjoy now. Do they really enjoy such privations? Their food must be very simple, do they really not wish for more delicious or nutritious foods?

Were they all people who had characteristics of practitioners right from birth? I don't think so. They are exactly the same as us. They also wish to enjoy nice homes, enjoy a good life and to have delicious foods of all kinds.  But why do they choose such a hard life, and moreover, persist in it for their entire lives?

What is the power driving them?  They are humans just like us.  Whatever pleasures we look for, they too wish for the same. So, it is the four contemplations that gives them the deep motivation to dwell in isolated mountain retreats and practice with a quiet mind. 

Due to the four contemplations, they are able to bear with all kinds of worldly deprivations while doing their practice, not feeling that anything is lacking.  They do not feel lonely in the slightest. 

Today, even one or two hours spent alone in practice is quite arduous for us. Why is this happening? Because the four contemplations have not sunk in deeply enough in our minds.  With the four contemplations, I believe that even if you practice for many hours, or even if you feel unwell and in pain during your sessions, the presence of the four contemplations will give you the strength to make it through easily and naturally. 

Therefore, the four contemplations are indispensable.


(Four contemplations are:

1. Precious Human Life

2. Impermanence

3. Cause and Effect

4. Sufferings of samsara

Refer to “Words of My Perfect Teacher” by Patrul Rinpoche for more details)