Search This Blog

Sunday, November 26, 2023

Statue of Manjushri

Miguel Schwebe recounted his conversation with HH Jigme Phuntsok Rinpoche:

I asked HH, “Did you see Manjushri Bodhisattva in your trip to Wutaishan?”

HH replied, “Yes, when I completed the retreat in Sudhana’s cave. I saw Manjushri with my own eyes. That was when I knew that the retreat had been very successful.”

I asked again, “Did Manjushri give you anything?”

HH said, “Yes.”  Then he touched the crown of his head and a statue appeared in his hand. He did not search for it in his bag, or on the table, but simply touched his crown. Then the statue of Manjushri appeared out of thin air.  HH passed the statue to me and I received it with both hands. My eyes were fixed on the statue and I was very excited, thinking, “This is extraordinary, I can’t believe that I have the chance to hold a statue of Manjushri bestowed by Manjushri himself.”  The statue was very exquisite, intricate and beautiful. It felt heavy in my hands and was certainly not an illusion.

I held the statue in my hands for about three to four minutes and returned it to HH. Then it disappeared in his hands.

Seeing this, I thought, “Is this what they call a miraculous power?” In the past, I had done retreat with many lamas and seen their miraculous powers but this was not the same.  I was astounded… I would probably never witness such a feat ever again. I was very lucky.


Miguel demonstrating the size of the Manjushri statue